While counting on the notion that we the people need the elite liberal politicians and talking heads to clarify the picture for us, citizens are dealing with real life issues that make them unavailable for Juan Williams contrived season of discontent. The frantic left-wing journalists were the first ones on the scene to start telling us of George Bush's failures in Katrina, Rita, and Wilma. Yet, when was the last time you saw or read a story updating you on the progress in these red state stricken areas? While the sleazy, tabloid networks and cable news outlets move on to their "season of discontent" regular red state Americans are struggling to put their lives back together. The media attempted to capture the attention deficit disordered minds of their superficial audiences with hyped stories of disparaged minorities in New Orleans. The media largely ignored Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida because their Republican Governors took responsibility for their states and worked well with the federal government to provide real relief for their people in helping them rebuild shattered lives. But the real point is that the residents of these devastated areas are facing real live tragedies with courage and strength that are not easily made into a rallying-cry to bash President Bush.
Moreover, there are other events which demonstrate that most of middle America is not participating in the synthetic season of discontent.
- The economic news is not only good it is broad based.
- Zany, wacky Cindy Sheehan has been cast aside by those who once supported her. Her fifteen minutes of fame seem to be over.
- Friday's news conference by Patrick Fitzgerald was more notable for things he said and for the things that didn't happen.
- Conservative Blogs are getting more and more attention everywhere and all the time.
- Paul Begala actually told the truth about something.
- Harriet Miers withdrew her nomination.
- A New Justice is on the horizon.
It will be interesting to see what intellectual gems emanate forth from Juan Williams and the other liberal talking heads this Sunday. Undoubtedly, they will be trying still to convince America that the Valerie Plame case is about the flawed case for war, and running their decades old play trying to convince us that we exist in an eternal season of discontent.